Sunday, September 20, 2009

To all of Those I Have Promised a Quilt to

It almost always inevitably happens, like rain from the clouds, that whenever I finish a quilt for someone another person will ask for one to be made for them. It is a very humbling yet overwhelming feeling to know that once one quilt is finished, the list will continue to grow. My dream would be to spend all day everyday quilting like it is my job but at this point in my life with school and part-time jobs to get through school does not allow much time to quilt away my list of requests.

It all started when I was in 8th grade after I had finished my first quilt using the rail fence pattern. Looking back it was very easy and very quick to whip it up so I made one for my brother. When my best friend Megan asked for one too using the same color scheme I said sure no problem. However, life got in the way and school was starting so I took my brother Zach's quilt and gave it to Megan. I am sorry Zach for taking your quilt and giving it to a less worthy person considering she left it at school and it was never to be found again.
The next quilt that was asked of me to make was of similar beginings. This person also saw my original quilt and wanted me to make him one as well. Quite frankly I just didn't want to make him one and spend my time and money on him. So Paul, I am sorry that I had that negative perspective on you and making you a quilt.



The biggest and by far the longest time it has taken me to make a quilt was the one for my boyfriend. We have been dating for 3 years and 2 of those 3 years was when the quilt was in progress. It was pretty sad how it kept being delayed. It was supposed to be a twin sized quilt in his favorite color, red, but somehow and some way it ended up being a queen sized quilt. I am not quite sure how that happened but it was good since over the course of the two years he had gotten a queen bed and the twin quilt would have been useless. On my boyfriend James' quilt, it was the first time I had every done a detailed quilting pattern. I chose to do the stippling pattern for it. Looking back I may have not been ready for this but surprisingly it turned out very nice on the front side. On the reverse side there was some issues with my sewing machine and it ended up leaving bunching of the string on the back. Again I want to appologize for my lack of perfection in the quilt for you.


There are still people who want a quilt but for the moment all of that is on hold unless they would like to purchase the fabric and little necessities while I put in the time and labor to make an awesome product. I was just reminded while writing this by my aunt that Christmas is coming up and that she should be pushed to the top of the list and so I say, we will see and I appologize again in advance to those that don't get what they asked for but I will sincerely try.













No comments:

Post a Comment